lunes, 20 de diciembre de 2010

My new project....

Well, I'll be gone for a couple of days...be back soon, promise....

I felt like sharing my latest "I don't know what to do in summer" project with you guys :D

I have a 110 year-old piano that, obviously, has seen better days. The sound is excellent, and all the wooden parts are in good shape, but the exterior paint (probably the original) has some scratches, and well, it has suffered many movings....
So I decided I would re-paint it myself (yeah!)!
I watched some videos in YouTube (my general source of knowledge), and read some articles about general wood painting.
I started yesterday disassembling small parts of the piano.
You put a thin layer of paint removal over it, wait about 15 minutes, and then scratch it off.
Later comes all of the sanding....exhausting by the way....(note to myself: get an electric sander for christmans)....
But my work paid off, and after a few hours of removing paint and sanding a lot, I have 2 parts (there are like....many parts -.-) totally sanded and ready for it's new coat of paint.
I will later have to buy some wood stain, apply it over the sanded parts, then give all of the parts a varnish/lacquer coat, and voilà, new piano.

I love the fact that many of the parts I'm disassembling haven't been handled for more than a century... and last time they saw someone, they saw a german worker back in Stuttgart. Hisotry lies within my piano (how poetic).

I'll upload pictures as the process develops.

Have to go pack my bags now.

See y'all soon :)

Cheers!

4 comentarios:

  1. good project.. too bad there aren't any pictures of the "before"

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Ahhh me encanta la idea!! yo siempre quise hacer eso (estudiar restauración de muebles y bah, aspirar aserrín) Si la verdad que deberías sacar fotos ahora que todavía no tiene pintura ni nada así vemos el progreso, no dudo que vas a hacer un trabajo excelente. Si necesitas una mano yo me ofrezco, aunque dudo que te vaya a dar tanto trabajo :P

    ResponderEliminar
  3. "aspirar aserrin" deberia preopcuparme??
    si estaria divertido darte una mano con eso
    la verdad que cuando lei que tu proyecto era pintar un piano pense "eso no puede tomar mucho" pero despues claro segui leyendo, y siendo vos no podia ser de otra forma, no vas a pintar un piano, vas a PINTAR un piano (la vas a hacer completita, la mayoria de la gente directamente lo pinaria por encima sin desarmar nada, a lo sumo le pasarian una lija)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. *Estoy aspirando aserrín como loco :S Imposible que no se te meta en los pulmones...voy a ver si no me compro un tapabocas...
    Es un viaje lijar todo...
    Hoy de noche subo unas fotos del proceso

    Cheers!

    ResponderEliminar